Capital Area Breastfeeding Resource Guides
For use by health care providers, mothers and others. If you know of a resource that should be added please contact Ann Siegle at email@example.com.
If you want to print a version of this for your patients, colleagues or friends, download and print one of the following guides:
Quick Support Guide:
This guide is set up for two guides per page, and can be cut in half after printing CABCSupportFlyerJan30-2019
2- Page Resource Guide
The larger version includes more resources and is set up for double-sided single page printing and is ideal for local hospitals, physician offices and breastfeeding support clinics:
Capital Area Breastfeeding Resources 3-21-2019
Black Breastfeeding Sisterhood Mother-led breastfeeding support group.
Meetings: 2nd and 4th Thursdays, 5:30 – 7 pm, Willow Tree Family Center 3333 S. Pennsylvania, Lansing, MI (Park in the back) (586) 806-9832 or (313) 948-2261
Breastfeeding Group Meet other breastfeeding moms and discuss concerns, find support, share experiences. Facilitated by clinicians with breastfeeding certification.
Meetings: Drop-In Tuesdays from 12 noon – 1 p.m. Sparrow Professional Building, Conference Room A (second floor).
Capital Area Baby Café: Drop in breastfeeding support.
Meetings: Wednesdays 10 am-12 pm, Pennway Church of God 1101 E. Cavanaugh Lansing, MI 48910. Call EPO for more info: (517) 887-7000
Delta Waverly La Leche League www.llldeltawaverly.weebly.com Breastfeeding information and encouragement from accredited La Leche Leaders and other mothers.
Meetings 2nd and 4th Wednesdays 10 am, and 3rd Tuesdays 6:30 pm, Delta Presbyterian Church (lower level) 6100 W. Michigan Ave., Lansing MI 48917 www.facebook.com/deltawaverlylalecheleague
Group Leaders: Mary Ann (h) 517-321-1818 (c) 517-230-1503 firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexia 248-766-6988 email@example.com
Jessi 989-598-4404 JDelliBovi827@aol.com
East Lansing La Leche League: http://lalecheeastlansing.com/
Meetings 1st Thursdays at 6:30 pm, First Christian Church, 1001 Chester Road, Lansing, just west of Frandor. 3rd Thursdays 6:30 pm, WIllow Tree Family Center 3333 S. Pennsylvania Ave #101, Lansing, MI 48910
Virtual Meetings 4th Thursday at 9:00 p.m. Join meetings here: https://www.facebook.com/lalecheeastlansing/posts/494768520707887
Group Leaders: Laura firstname.lastname@example.org
Jodi (517) 648-0432
Lindsey (586) 801-3763 email@example.com
Breastfeeding in East Lansing Facebook Support Group: Highly recommended facebook page for all your breastfeeding questions. Search on Facebook for Breastfeeding in East Lansing and ask to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/98260684987/
WIC Breastfeeding Help Line Leave a message 24/7. A Breastfeeding Peer Counselor will return your call. (517) 887-4543.
Ingham County Health Department Public Health Nurse home visits for breastfeeding support. Medicaid-eligible clients (517) 887-4322.
Black Breastfeeding Moms of Michigan: https://www.facebook.com/groups/276094752544551/
Ingham County WIC Program – 517-887-4326
Eaton County WIC Program – 517-541-2630- WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor – 517-541-2650
Mid-Michigan District Health Department (Clinton County) WIC Program – 989-224-2195
Shiawassee County Health Department WIC Program – 989-743-2383 or 800-859-4229
l-Infant Outreach Program
Women’s Health Services – 517-887-4320; www.Ingham.org/hd/womens/index/htm
County and District Health Departments
- Barry-Eaton District Heath Department (Lansing No.) – 517-485-7110 WIC Program – 517-541-2630 (Eaton) or 269-945-9516 (Barry)
- Ingham County Health Department
- Child Health Services – 517-887-4305
- Prenatal Nutritionist – 517-887-4320
- Public Health Nursing – 517-887-4322–home visits for breastfeeding support
- WIC Program – 517-887-4326
- WIC Breastfeeding Help Line- 517-887-4543 – leave a message 24/7.
- Mid-Michigan District Health Department (Clinton County) 989-224-7772 Public Health Nursing, Option 5 Maternal and Infant Support Services, Option 6 WIC Program, Option 5
- Shiawassee County Health Department WIC Program – 989-743-2383 or 800-859-4229
Willow Tree Family Center, 3333 S. Pennsylvania Ave., Suite 101, Lansing, MI 48910 www.willowtreefamily.com 586-806-WTFC
Help for Postpartum Depression
Kersten Kimmerly, LMSW Individual and Group therapy 517 333-3741
Jennifer Novello, LMSW, 517 999-9005
Dr. Shelley Smithson (Psychologist) 517 332-1562
“Warm Line” Jennifer Chenault 517-204-3067.
Shades of Motherhood: Postpartum depression Support group. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 734-204-3067
- The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About your Baby from Birth to Age Two, William and Martha Sears
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, Diane Wiessinger and Diana West
- The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide to Making More Milk, Diane West
- Mothering Multiples, Karen Gromada
- Balancing Breast & Bottle: Reaching Your Breastfeeding Goals, Amy Peterson and Mindy Harmer
- Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers, Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett
- Working and Breastfeeding Made Simple, Nancy Mohrbacher
- Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family, La Leche League International , Diane Wiessinger , Diana West , Linda J. Smith ,Teresa Pitman
- Best for Babes Foundation – www.bestforbabes.org
- Black Mothers Breastfeeding Association–http://www.blackmothersbreastfeeding.org
- Capital Area Breastfeeding Coalition – www.mibreastfedbaby.com
- CDC Guide to Breastfeeding Interventions – www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/resources/guide.htm
- Infant Risk Center – Medications & mother’s milk answer hotline — www.infantrisk.com
- Kellymom.com, IBCLC Lactation Consultant breastfeeding answer site – www.kellymom.com
- Michigan Breastfeeding Network: http://www.mibreastfeeding.org/
- Stanford University School of Medicine, “Getting Started with Breastfeeding” http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/
- Nancy Mohrbacher Solutions on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NancyMohrbacher
- Nancy Mohrbacher blog and resources: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com
- Breastfeeding resources in Spanish:
Coffective’s We’re Prepared Checklist (can be picked up in color, for free, from your local WIC office)
Coffective’s Motivation Document (can be picked up in color, for free, from your local WIC office)
This page offers an incredible amount of resources (English and Spanish).
This is an 8-page Spanish booklet on Breastfeeding Beyond 6 Months
US DHHS, Women’s Health breastfeeding website (Spanish-focused here): https://espanol.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding/
They have a Breastfeeding Fact Sheet in Spanish: https://espanol.womenshealth.gov/img/hhswomenshealth/OWH_FS_Breastfeeding_ENG_2014_SPA.pdf
Apps and Blogs – with links to other bloggers:
- Coffective Free mobile app. Evidence based educational materials about breastfeeding
- The Breastfeeding Solutions app by Nancy Mohrbacher. Costs $4.99 on iTunes. Straightforward solutions to the 30 most common breastfeeding problems.
- Momzelle Breastfeeding Blog:http://www.momzelle.com/blog/– research, anecdotes from a new mother, and nursing fashions.
- Secrets of Baby Behavior, University of California-Davis Human Lactation Center- http://www.secretsofbabybehavior.com/